Hamburg is the third largest musical city in the world and home for an original sort of German alternative music. Hamburg is an energetic harbour city of Germany. In order to fly to this city with possibly the lowest cost, use Pegasus. Catch the best Pegasus Hamburg flight deals and start your trip with the exclusivity of Pegasus!
Being one of the biggest cities of Germany, Hamburg is also the second biggest seaport city of Europe. Even though it's a big city, places that needs to be seen are generally in walking distance to each other. The most suitable times to have boat tours in canals in Hamburg, which has two rivers that go through the city, and walk around the city mora easily, are summer months. Autumn and winter are generally very cold in Hamburg. Hamburg differs from many other European cities with its nightlife and the fact that it's a seaport city plays an important role in this. However, Hamburg is a city that also pays importance to history and cultural values. There many places, like museums and historical artifacts, that should be seen here. And one shouldn't miss the gastronomy and shopping culture of the city either. After all, Hamburg is the hometown of one of the most frequently consumed foods in the world: Hamburger.
Attractions in Hamburg
- Aussenalster (Outer Alster Lake): The most visited area of the city is Aussenalster which is right beside the river. There are water sports events and boat trips arranged too.
- Wiener Rathaus (Hamburg Rathaus): One of the most significant structures and accepted as one of the best neo-Renaissance architecture, Rathaus is the symbol of Hamburg.
- Miniatur Wunderland (Miniature Wonderland): As a multi-coloured model museum, Miniatur Wunderland, offers you miniature versions of many art-pieces.
What to Eat and Where to Eat in Hamburg
- Fishcake: In Hamburg, there are many places you can have seafood. The favourite dish is fishcake, or fish ball.
- Aalsuppe: This is a soup made from eel; you should try the famous dish of the city.
- Labskaus: The most favourite meat dish of Hamburg cuisine, labskaus, is a stew dish made of potato, onion, and bay leaf.
- Deichstrabe: You can taste the best Hamburg dishes in this Deichstrabe area with traditional restaurants.
- Poststrabe: Most of the popular Hamburg flavours and cute cafés are here.
- Fischmarkt: You can try the best sea foods here and have a feast for yourself by buying some of the fish types.
Landscape of Hamburg
As a harbour city located by the river, Hamburg will get your attention with its bridges, Renaissance structures, and regular streets.
Transportation in Hamburg
In terms of transportation, Hamburg is a very well-developed country with its buses, tramways, and metros. You can comfortably access the inner-city transportation of Hamburg. Metro lines in the city are very powerful. Additionally, in Hamburg, taxies are also good options as there are many white taxis available in the city. From the airport to the Hamburg Hauptbahnhof Central station, you can go with the S-Bahn, and then transfer everywhere in the Hamburg city.
More information about Hamburg
Food and Drink
More Places to Visit
After reserving your seats for one of the cheap flights to Hamburg you can solve the issue of transportation in the city before even going there by using the car rental service on flypgs.com. If you don't prefer renting a car, you can use Hamburg's subway line, which is a wide network, or busses. Like in all over Europe, train is the best way to transport in Hamburg, too. Transportation to many spots in the city is done by trains. Bus lines are also active in the city. However, train is the most frequently used means of transportation in the city.
In Hamburg, shopping is mostly done at shops that are lined on both sides of streets and the number of these streets is quite high. It's possible to come across luxury brands or boutiques of famous designers on some of them. There is not much income gap between people in Germany but we can say that Hamburg is a bit richer than other cities. That's why, it's more probable to see luxury brands here. Of course this doesn't mean that you can only shop in luxury stores in Hamburg. Being a cosmopolitan city, Hamburg has different shopping alternatives for all kids of budgets. One of the best things you can bring from Hamburg as a gift can be a cookbook for cakes. Because it has a very rich variety of publications for that. Of course, one shouldn't forget delicious German chocolates that will be used in those recipes.
- Möckebergstraße - There are many different stores in both sides of Möckeberg, which is the first street that comes to mind for shopping in Hamburg. You can do shopping here and sit in a cafe for a drink to recharge yourself when you get tired. Address: Möckebergstraße, 20095 Hamburg
- Neuer Wall - You can find boutiques of famous designers in Neuer Wall, which is one of the luxurious shopping street of Hamburg. There are many alternatives from clothing to accessories here. Address: Neuer Wall, 20354 Hamburg
- Marktzeit in der Fabrik - One of the most pleasant places to shop in Hamburg is Marktzeit in der Fabrik, which is a street market. While shopping here, you can eat amazing German muffins and scones and drink your coffee. Address: Barnerstraße 36, 22765 Hamburg
- Fish Auction Hall and Market - Here's an advice: Don't come back before going to Hamburg's famous fish market. You'll not believe how crowded it gets in the mornings in the fish market, which is open between 5 am - 9.30 am. Apart from fish, it's also possible to find clothing products here. You'll see a historical building once you're finished with going around the market. A rock bar, which has live music at that hour, welcomes you there. You can have your breakfast with beer and rock music here. You should definitely see that place even if you won't have a breakfast. Address: 137 Grosse Elbstrasse, 22767 Hamburg (Altonaer Fischmarkt)
- Bonscheladen - Bonscheladen is one of the cutest places you'll stop by in Hamburg to buy some presents for yourself and your loved ones. You'll lose yourself in this sweet and candies shop. Address: Friedensallee 12, 22765 Hamburg
Food and Drink in Hamburg
Germany has a rich culture of gastronomy. It especially stands out with different servings and tastes of the foods we eat all the time. Don't ever think that you'll only eat schnitzel and potatoes in Germany. Try out the best examples of the world cuisine here for once. Hamburg is also very lucky in this sense. Moreover, there are also different concepts in some restaurants. This way you can eat delicious food and enjoy the place you're in at the same time. Since Hamburg is a coastal town, the number of fish restaurants are quite high here. If Hamburg cuisine is not a good fit for you, the most practical solution is going into a fish restaurant.
- Daniel Wischer - One of the most well-known seafood restaurants in Hamburg is Daniel Wischer. Owing to the fact that this is a coastal city, fish and other sea products are very fresh and delicious. If you like seafood, it's a good idea to stop by here. Address: Spitalerstr. 12, Hamburg (Hamburg-Altstadt)
- Alster Lake - One of the best snacks to eat on the streets of Hamburg is a hotdog. There are hotdog booths on the streets, almost eveywhere. If you get hungry during your trip around the Alster Lake, you can suppress your hunger by buying a hotdog and beer from the hotdog booths. Address: Brucke 1, Hamburg (Neustadt)
- Von der Motte - You can visit Von der Motte to start the day with a fresh breakfast. You can either have your breakfast with sandwiches or muffins. You can prefer this place not only for breakfasts but also for eating something light during the day. Address: Mottenburger Twiete 14, 22765 Hamburg
- Fischereihafen-Restaurant - You can choose this place when you want to have a fancy dinner in Hamburg which is rich with seafood. Fischereihafen Restaurant will be one of your favorites with its beautiful servings and delicious menu. Address: Grosse Elbstrasse 143, Hamburg (Altonaer Fischmarkt)
- Black Delight - If you want to eat some desserts with a delicious cup of coffee to release the stress of the day in Hamburg, Black Delight is exactly your type of cafe. You can also watch the city while sitting at one of the tables in front of this small and cozy cafe and drinking your coffee. Address: Eppendorferweg 67, 20259 Hamburg
Accommodation in Hamburg
There are many accommodation alternatives in Hamburg, which is a coastal city. Take a look at our recommendations among many alternatives from rental apartments to hostels, luxurious hotels to low budget guest houses.
- The Madison Hamburg - A comfortable and cozy option in the area between the city center and the port. You can choose it for its location that is in walking distance to many places to see. Address: Schaarsteinweg 4, 20459 Hamburg (Neustadt)
- Eden by Centro Basic - Being a 3 star hotel located right across Hamburg train station, Eden by Centro Basic is an economical accommodation alternative with its affordable prices. Address: Ellmenreichstr. 20, Hamburg Mitte, 20099 Hamburg
- Novum Hotel Alster Hamburg St. Georg - Novum Hotel, which is one of the most ideal accommodation alternatives due to its location that is close to everywhere, has warm and cozy atmosphere. Address: St.-Georg-Straße 10, Hamburg Mitte, 20099 Hamburg
- Ferienwohnung Hamburg - Ferienwohnung Hamburg, is a rental apartment with a capacity of 4 adults. It can be an economical and comfortable option for a long accommodation or for groups holidays. Address: Denksteinweg 59, Wandsbek, 22043 Hamburg
- Night Lodge - This hostel in the university area provides clean and affordable accommodation for students. It's very easy to reach the city center with its location that is close to a train station. Address: Bundesstr. 8, Eimsbüttel, 20146 Hamburg
Places to Visit in Hamburg
There are many places to see in Hamburg from museums to natural parks, historical buildings or ports. It may not be possible to see all of the places that needs to be seen in Hamburg during your stay but it's a good idea to stop by some of the touristic spots we've picked for you. Don't forget that you'll feel like in an open-air museum thanks to the gothic architecture that can be seen in all parts of the city.
- Town Hall - Rathaus, in other words the town hall, which is one of the most important buildings that must be seen in Hamburg, will fascinate you. Rathaus is at the top of the list of must-see places with its Neo-Renaissance architecture. Address: Rathausmarkt, Hamburg
- Miniatur Wunderland - Miniatur Wunderland, which is one of the most important museums of the city, is colorful and lively museum of scale models. You should definitely see this museum where everything has been recreated by taking the slightest details into consideration. Address: Kehrwieder 2, | Block D, 20457 Hamburg (Hamburg-Altstadt)
- Alster Lake - Alster Lake, that is at the end of Alster River, is one of the must-see places. You can sunbathe on the side of the lake or watch the swans. You can also have an enjoyable time by walking around. Address: Brucke 1, Hamburg (Neustadt)
- Jungfernstieg - Jungfernstieg is the point of departure for the boats by which you can have a tour on Alster Lake. You can take some photos of the beauties you'll come across while floating on the lake with one of the boats you take here. In Jungfernstieg, there are also some stores where you can shop. Address: Hamburg (Neustadt)
- Church of St. Michael - You can see a panoramic view of the city from the top of Church of St. Michel, which is one of the important historical buildings of Hamburg. The building is also worth seeing for its history and architecture. Address: Englische Planke 1a, 20459 Hamburg (Neustadt)
The fact that Hamburg is a seaport city brings a lively nightlife with it. Hamburg's nightlife, of which fame has spread through the world, is scattered around the area near the port. You can find many places from bar and night clubs to striptease clubs in this area.
- Red Light District - There is also a famous example of Europe's notorious neighbourhoods, where there are striptease clubs and erotic stores, in Hamburg. Address: Reeperbahn Strasse Hamburger Berg 1, 20359 Hamburg (St. Pauli)
- Cotton Club - Cotton Club jazz bar can be the right choice for you if you want to go out at nights and drink while listening to something that will not wear you out. Address: Alter Steinweg 10 | Großneumarkt, 20459 Hamburg (Neustadt)
- The Rock Cafe St.Pauli - If you like rock music, we recommend you to go to The Rock Cafe St. Pauli, which is one of the places where you can listen to live music in Hamburg, and have a fun night while drinking German beer at the same time. Address: Silbersackstrasse 27, Hamburg
- Bar Le Lion, Hamburg - If you want to have a calm night with some drinks after a tiring day, you can visit Bar Le Lion coctail bar. You can try very delicious cocktails and enjoy the night in the company of a light music. Address: Rathausstrasse 3, 20095 Hamburg
- Tower Bar - If you want to watch Hamburg from above while drinking something, Tower Bar is a place that is exactly for you. You can have chic night in Hamburg by sipping your drink facing this peerless view. Address: Seewartenstr. 3, Hamburg (St. Pauli)
- Country Code: +49
- Ambulance: 112
- Fire: 112
- Police: 110
- Hamburg Airport: +49 (40) 50 75-0